Akwaaba! Welcome to Alora.
We are a mother-daughter duo handcrafting jewelry from recycled brass and glass. These pieces are created to help you live with intention. Each piece has a symbolic positive meaning attached to it - love, forgiveness, family, and believing – so that you can be reminded of your values and your intentions each time you wear it.Not only does each piece have a meaning, but your purchase helps to empower disadvantaged women and children rise above poverty.
Here is our story
Alora was founded in 2013 in the beautiful city of Calgary, Alberta. The co-founders, the mother-daughter duo of Emilyn and Jameela, began handcrafting jewelry on their kitchen table with the belief that jewelry should be beautiful, personal and meaningful.
The team later grew to three with the addition of Peter and the business embraced the idea that jewelry should speak to you. This sparked the creative journey now know as Alora.
Alora believes in living life with intention. The brand is more than a jewelry line because it embraces the stories, happy moments, milestones and experiences that celebrate, connect and inspire you, our customer.
Each piece symbolizes an intention and tells a story of individuality, self-expression, love, and friendship. Alora jewels are inspired by the natural beauty of the Rockies and Ghana's free spirit culture.
Simple, clean, earthy statement pieces designed in the spirit of love, kindness, and consciousness and handcrafted to order in their Calgary studio.
Alora lives by the philosophy that in order to live a meaningful life you must:
- Embrace your uniqueness
- Treat your surroundings and those around you with kindness and respect
- Give back to those less fortunate than you
Inspired by these beliefs is the reason why we
- respect our planet by handcrafting our pieces using recycled materials
- partner with local and international charities that are committed to empowering disadvantaged women and children
- work with artisans in Ghana to make a difference in their lives and
- attach an intention to each piece to remind you of the things you care about and your inner beauty:)
Meet the team
Emilyn Ghann – Co-founder and Creative
What do I do? I am the matriarch of the Ghann family and the creative force behind the company. I come up with new ideas for jewelry designs because I love making people and their homes look and feel beautiful through art.
3 Random Facts About Emilyn:
- I was born in Westmorland, Jamaica.
- Red is my favorite color. That is an understatement. At one point, I painted my kitchen red. Glad my kids got me out of that!
- I have a sweet tooth and I love cheesecake far more than I would admit :)
Jameela Ghann – Co-founder and Designer
What do I do? Not only do I design and create a majority of Alora's products, but I am also in charge of day-to-day business activities and long-term goal setting.
3 Random Facts About Jameela
- When it comes to fashion and design, I am all about color. If you didn't already know.
- I love to eat, but cooking is definitely not my strong point.
- Want to be my friend, host a craft night. Making crafts is my favorite hobby, so I am always down for craft night!!
Peter Njongwe: Creative Director (Sales & Marketing)
What do I do: The two co-founders make beautiful pieces, so naturally they need someone to sell it. That is my role. I also do all the IT related stuff and help set the creative narrative.
3 Random Facts About Peter
- I was born in Yaounde, Cameroon.
- I am a closet hipster. Yes just don't call me a hipster to my face :)
- Not the handiest. I mean, I have trouble putting IKEA furniture together.